bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Permissions in Slackware

From: A. Sajjad Zaidi
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Permissions in Slackware
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:52:02 +0600

Hi Hamid,

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 05:04:05AM -0700, Hamid Nouri wrote:

> I installed Slackware 10 today, and I have some
> problems with permissions. For example when I mount A
> FAT partition to a mount point only root has
> permission to read, write and execute.

You can do what Gurban recommended, i.e. specify your username in the
options field of fstab, e.g.

/dev/hde4        /mnt/win         vfat        noauto,uid=hamid  1 0

or you can change the umask, e.g.

/dev/hde4        /mnt/win         vfat        noauto,umask=0022  1 0

> I try to change
> the permissions but anyhow I've got nothing. These
> only work on unmounted point, in other words I can
> change the permissins only for empty directories and
> when a device is mounted to a point,

Right, because empty (or unmounted) directories are probably a part of
your native Linux filesystem which supports these permissions. When you
mount another filesystem, the mount point assumes it's permissions.

Since FAT doesn't support the same type of permissions as Linux/UNIX
file systems, a umask, uid and gid must be set explicitly. Slackware
sets these so ordinary users can't access it by default.

> privileges are
> changed. cdrom and other removable medias are the
> same. I use reiser FS for the first time, and before
> with ext3 never had these problems.

It doesn't matter wether you used ext3 or reiserfs before since this
issue is related to the defaults set by Slackware and not the file
system you're using.

Good luck.

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi