bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Troubles using Bino with x11 devices (Input/output error

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Troubles using Bino with x11 devices (Input/output error)
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 14:11:23 +0200

Hello Bastien!

On Tue, 20 May 2014 13:57:39 +0200, Bastien Tran wrote:
> I intend to use Bino in order to output *stereo* (on my institution's
> CAVE) or *alternating *(on my workstation for prior testing) from two
> x11 inputs. The idea is to display 3d plots from R using active
> stereoscopy.

Nice application!

> So far I haven't been able to grab any x11 device with Bino. When
> setting one x11 device Bino returns an error (same error with two
> devices):
>
> "localhost:0.0+100,100 : Input/output error"

For some unknown reason, the "localhost" part does not seem to
work anymore. When I just use ":0.0+100,100", it works fine.
Perhaps you have the same problem?

> *I have built *FFmpeg* from source to make sure *libx11* and
> *libdc1394*supports (I assume the former only is necessary in my case)
> were enabled.

libdc1394 is only necessary for Firewire cameras.

> *Also I am not familiar with *FFmpeg* (yet) but I have managed to
> grab my desktop without any trouble so I don't think there is
> anything wrong with my x11 devices descriptions in Bino.

That's strange. Maybe Bino does not link to your self-built FFmpeg
libraries, but to some system libraries? Can you check with
"ldd ./bino"? You can force linking to your FFmpeg version with
./configure PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/path/to/your/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig ...

Best regards,
Martin