bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Bino Bug, rendering ass subtitles

From: Orestis Dimou
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Bino Bug, rendering ass subtitles
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 20:58:47 +0100

Hello,

@Martin
I run video and subtitle with no problems in my vlc installation. However maybe do i need to compile vlc again with --enable-ffmpeg? (I had some errors in compiling may be i will try later). Any way to see that vlc actually uses ffmpeg?

@Frederic
I have:
bino-1.4.4
ffmpeg 0.8.10-4:0.8.10-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
libavutil    51. 22. 2 / 51. 22. 2
libavcodec   53. 35. 0 / 53. 35. 0
libavformat  53. 21. 1 / 53. 21. 1
libavdevice  53.  2. 0 / 53.  2. 0
libavfilter   2. 15. 0 /  2. 15. 0
libswscale    2.  1. 0 /  2.  1. 0
libpostproc  52.  0. 0 / 52.  0. 0
compiling from source, also tested with msi in windows.

You can find attached bt info, but i am not sure i am correct, since i had to interrupt with ctr-c after the crush, to take the backtrace from gdb.

Regards,
Orestis

Hi Orestis!

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 16:38:31 +0100, Orestis Dimou wrote:
> I tried some ass subtitles,  but bino crashes both on windows and
> linux when i try to navigate inside a video, using bino controls. I
> tried an ass file containing subtitle for every msec of the video,
> and it did not crash. So an I/O error occurs, if the ass subtitle
> file time does not match the video time? Anyone aware of the bug?
> Maybe in subtitle_renderer.cpp of bino, or ffmpeg code?

Two comments on these issues:

- The Debian and Ubuntu Linux distributions unfortunately use a fork of
  the FFmpeg libraries called libav. This fork never worked
  correctly for ASS subtitles: in the best case, they appear for a very
  short period, but never as intended.
  When build with the proper FFmpeg, ASS subtitles work fine.
  This issue (and others) is now at least two years old:
  https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/bino-list/2012-03/msg00026.html

- I also saw the problem of i/o errors on seeking and sometimes on
  end-of-stream (not sure if video stream or subtitle stream). The
  error message comes from FFmpeg, but maybe Bino uses FFmpeg wrong for
  this use case.
  To test this, one could try the same video/subtitle combination in
  VLC and ffplay. If these work fine, then it is Bino's fault. If they
  don't work, then something in FFmpeg is probably wrong.

Regards,
Martin