bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Cant make subtitles work

From: Federico Cuello
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Cant make subtitles work
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:00:04 +0100

On 16.01.2014 18:09, Martin Lambers wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 13:07:27 +0100, Federico Cuello wrote:
>> There is an open bug reported here:
>>
>>  http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=38150
>>
>> I have the same problem and also would like to have subtitles working.
>
> Chances to fix this are not too good. The AMD Catalyst OpenGL driver is
> known to be of very bad quality, and working around its problems may be
> impossible. Also, no developer seems to have access to a test system
> with this hardware (as far as I know).

Yeah, I know. The "strange" thing is that other programs like mplayer
and vlc are working with subtitles, and as far as I know all of them are
using the same libraries. I'll try to fix it myself if I have time. I
already started to look at the code.

> It's more promising to try the latest free drivers (though that
> may not be possible on all platforms). There have been substantial
> improvements in the last months.

I'll give them another try. It seems that kernel 3.13 has a lot of
improvements for AMD cards. Although subtitles are also not working in
windows and there are no free drivers there :)

> Sorry that I don't have better news.

No problem! I hope somebody will fix it eventually.