bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] question

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] question
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 07:03:06 +0200

On Tue, 7 May 2013 18:31:44 +0200, Gergely Eszenyi wrote:
> I have the following question. I would like to watch video on my
> laptop in 3D.
> What type of 3D glasses do you suggest? What type of 3D glasses can i
> use your
> software with? -> *active or passive? manufacture:serial number*.
> I am living in Hungary/Europe, so i am looking for 3D glasses, which
> is available
> in commercial in this region. Is it needed special screen feature
> (monitor frequency,...)?
> Thank you for your help in advance.

If you want active stereo, you need
- a graphics card that supports OpenGL quad-buffered stereo (e.g. NVIDIA
  Quadro)
- a monitor that supports refresh rates >= 120 Hz
- shutter glasses that match the graphics card / monitor
  combination.
Note that Bino does not support the NVIDIA 3D Vision bundle on all
graphics cards due to restrictions by NVIDIA. You need true OpenGL
quad-buffered stereo support.

There are also some monitors + glasses that use polarization. These may
be less expensive, but I don't know if such systems are still sold.

The most common cheap alternative are anaglyph glasses. For this, you
just need the glasses, available in many online stores for few Euros.
The image quality will not be as good as with more expensive systems,
especially in terms of color quality, but it's good enough for simple
use cases; you can still buy a more expensive setup later.

Martin