bino-list

[Bino-list] MOV Rotation tags being ignored?

From: Peter Andrews
Subject: [Bino-list] MOV Rotation tags being ignored?
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 12:36:09 -0400

Hello all,

I tried to search the manual and archives before bothering you. Thanks for
creating this cool tool.

I recorded two side by side portrait mode videos on two iPhones. The videos
look fine and are oriented as expected in Quicktime player. Bino shows the
videos rotated on their sides (i.e. landscape mode). Even though they already
looked correct in Quicktime, I tried rotating the video but Bino did not change
its display.

My understanding is that quicktime videos have orientation bits such that when
you rotate a video it only marks the orientation bit rather than re-encoding
everything. Is it possible that Bino is not honoring the orientation bit in
.mov files?

I did succeed in viewing my videos in Bino after exporting them as .m4v files.

Thanks,

Peter Andrews