bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Possible to use two v4l2 inputs?

From: Goetz Dapp
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Possible to use two v4l2 inputs?
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 09:07:59 -0600

On 04/06/2012 08:07 AM, Martin Lambers wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 15:24:59 -0600, Goetz Dapp wrote:
>> On 04/05/2012 12:10 PM, Martin Lambers wrote:
>>> Hi Goetz!

>>> There was an arbitrary limitation for a single device. I just
>>> removed this, and opening two devices for left/right now works, at
>>> least with the X11 grabber pseudo device (I don't have any v4l2
>>> devices).
>>>
>>> Can you test the latest version from the git repository?
>>>
>>> It should be possible to open the video devices from the command
>>> line: $ bino --device-frame-size=800x600 /dev/video0 /dev/video1
>>>
>>> If this works for you, I'll change the GUI dialog to allow this,
>>> too.

>>> Hm, we're going through FFmpeg to open v4l2 devices. What controls
>>> would you like to adjust? Sorry, I don't know much about v4l2...
>>>
>>> Martin
>>>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> thanks for your quick reply! I'll compile Bino from git tonight and
>> give it a shot.
>>
>> Regarding the v4l2 controls, I am not even sure if that is doable
>> through ffmpeg. I am using a camera that has an autofocus
>> (V4L2_CID_FOCUS_AUTO) and auto white balance feature
>> (V4L2_CID_AUTO_WHITE_BALANCE), which sometimes messes up a video
>> during recording. There are other controls, too, that might be
>> interesting for my setup. I was thinking about presetting it, and
>> then turn it off, hence my question about the controls.
> FFmpeg does not seem to support these advanced controls, so I'm afraid
> we cannot easily add support for them to Bino. Isn't there some V4L2
> application that allows to tweak all these things while an application
> uses the device?
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,

thanks, that's what I suspected. I compiled bino last night and the two
input work! The resolution is limited to 800x600, I suspect that's
because of bandwidth issues. Do you know if ffmpeg supports controlling
the input data type / chroma, i.e. MJPG, which the camera can run
natively? When I use cvlc and set the v4l2-chroma to MJPG it supports
two cameras as 1280x800.

Thanks so much,
Goetz