bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] remote control through udp under Windows

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] remote control through udp under Windows
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 13:02:30 +0100

Hi Michael!

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:58:51 +0100, Michael Horn wrote:
> I'm building right know the software infrastructure for a multi
> projector stereoscopic environment for research purposes, checking
> different quad buffered open gl enabled players and it looks like
> Bino may work best. Unfortunately we need to control the player
> remotely through a network. What I need to do:
>
> - start three instances of Bino
> - toggle play on all of them simultaneously
> - "alt+tab" between them (already scripted in autoit3)
>
> or (depending on system load and latency)
>
> - start one instance of Bino
> - toggle play
> - jump to different times
>
> Is there any easy possibility to control the different instances
> through udp or any other protocol? Under Linux one could use Lirc,
> but apparently this doesn't work with Windows and as our warping and
> blending software is not available for Linux we cannot switch systems.
> I would be very grateful if someone could provide a "dirty hack" for
> this or point me into the right direction so I may try by myself or,
> hopefully not,  say: "too complicated, not gonna happen soon".

A remote control can be implemented: Bino has a "controller" class that
can send commands to the central dispatch (and is notified of events,
but that is not required here).

You can implement a simple UDP controller that receives the "play"
command and sends it to the dispatch. Have a look at lirc.cpp for an
example.

If possible, start with the current Bino sources from git, because we
recently had a major restructuring which cleaned up the controller/
dispatch code.

An alternative might be to use Bino+Equalizer for synchronized video
output over multiple processes/graphics cards. That depends on your
setup and requirements (I did not understand what you mean with
"alt+tab").

If you need help, just ask on this list.

Best regards,
Martin