bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] adding chapters, skipping chapters in video files

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] adding chapters, skipping chapters in video files
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:36:01 +0100

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 00:01:07 -0800 (PST), Nate wrote:
> > > I'm interested in  creating this feature.
> > > Either as an external text file with the data  that you would load
> > > each time. or using something like mp4box to add the  metadata
> > > directly to the movie file.
> > >
> > > how difficult do  you think this would be?
> >
> > It should not be too diffcult. FFmpeg already  supports chapter
> > metadata (see the AVChapter entries in AVFormat). You would  have to
> > extract it and export it from media_object/media_input to the
> > player and user interface, and then add controls that let the user
> > jump  between chapters.
>
> cool. thanks the info.
> what about adding new chapter markers?

These should be added to video files using an external tool specialized
for such a purpose. Bino is a player only and does not alter the input
data in any way - that would require a completely different approach.

Usually tools for container formats can add or change chapter
information, e.g. mkvtoolnix for the Matroska (.mnkv) / WebM (.webm)
container.

Martin