bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] MKV + SRT files

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] MKV + SRT files
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 15:18:49 +0200

Hi Frédéric!

On 05/08/11 11:13, Frédéric Devernay wrote:
> If I remove my fonts.conf file, I get a crash. I patched
> subtitle_renderer.cpp to create a default fonts.conf on MacOSX, since
> it's not part of the systems default (see attachment).

Thanks, I applied it with a few cosmetic changes:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bino.git/commit/?id=093a435d2444e1dfd9dcc4f01f4f05e928628fff

> On the first run I thought bino was stuck, but it was just running
> fontconfig. Could we have a warning dialog when fontconfig is running
> and/or run ass_set_fonts in a separate thread so that it doesn't
> block the interface? Running ass_set_fonts when loading the files
> would also probably be better than when rendering the first
> subtitle.

The subtitle renderer is now initialized in the background, in the hope
that all is finished when the first subtitle box needs to be rendered.
If that is not the case, Bino now pauses the video, displays a message,
and waits for the initialization to finish.
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bino.git/commit/?id=381a4ade2d43e3708ebff79f9725d918aee860b2

An alternative, as you suggested, would be to force initialization to
finish as soon as any media file with subtitle information is loaded.
But that would penalize users that don't want subtitles, and videos
where the subtitles do not start immediately and initialization has
enough time to finish while the video is already playing (such as most
movies).

I'm not sure which method is better; if users prefer the second
solution, I can change the code.

> I also had that warning from LibASS: bino: [wrn] LibASS: Neither
> PlayResX nor PlayResY defined. Assuming 384x288

That seems to occur whenever FFmpeg translates SRT subtitles to ASS
subtitles for us. ASS subtitles usually have that information, SRT
subtitles do not. I think it can be ignored.

Best regards,
Martin