bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Release plans (3D sound)

From: Cédric André
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Release plans (3D sound)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:35:44 +0200

Le lundi 18 avril 2011 à 21:04 +0200, Martin Lambers a écrit :
> On 18/04/11 12:28, David Corrigan wrote:
> > This may not be of widespread interest but we have a number of 3d
> > stereo recordings that also have audio recording in a 1st order
> > ambisonics format.
> > For those who may not know, ambisonics is a 3d audio format that can
> > easily be used to generate signals for the conventional surround sound
> > formats (eg, stereo, 5.1 surround sound etc.)
> > We were considering implementing an option to bino that would allow
> > for processing of ambisonics recordings and would allow the user to
> > select the desired surround sound format.
> > We may get time to look at implementing it over the summer but we will
> > make available the video sequences with the audio recordings over the
> > web over the coming weeks.
> >
> > It would be interesting to know what you think.
>
> Sounds interesting! The basic decoder for ambisonic streams/files should
> probably be part of FFmpeg. The conversion to a particular output format
> (5.1 or whatever) might also be implemented as an FFmpeg filter, but it
> might also be standalone. Bino could then choose the right conversion
> based on user input, with the default probably based on the capabilities
> of the audio device.
>
> One question: does the conversion of ambisonic audio to an output format
> require a HRTF?
>
> Martin

Hi all,

this is my first message on this list. I would like to thank everyone
who has worked on Bino so far. This is a really good piece of software
and I can see it's getting even better every day ! The combination with
Equalizer is a real treat !

I'm doing a thesis on 3D sound for 3D cinema so I would be very
interested if Bino would decode ambisonics (first and higher order). But
right now, I'm using WFS for my experiment so I tweaked Bino a bit to
make it send OSC messages (www.opensoundcontrol.org) at every frame to
pilot the sound, using the OSCpack library.

If anyone is interested by this, just contact me.

(And no ambisonics doesn't require the use of HRTFs, the spatial
information is encoded in the sound file itself).

All the best,
--
Cédric André
Research & Teaching Assistant