bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] TrueHD audio error

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] TrueHD audio error
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:16:25 +0200

Hi Robert!

On 18/04/11 19:15, Robert Pliszko wrote:
> I have noticed error on bino: cannot handle audio with sample format
> s32. I know it is error from ffmpeg, but I can't find how to enable
> truehd audio option in ffmpeg configure. I'm using ffmpeg-0.6.90-rc0 of
> course. Anybody help me?

Actually it is not an FFmpeg limitation, but a Bino limitation.
Currently, Bino takes whatever it gets from FFmpeg and then relies on
OpenAL to convert it to whatever format is suitable for output. If
OpenAL cannot handle what FFmpeg delivers, Bino just rejects it, to
avoid doing audio conversion itself and keep things simple.

OpenAL supports 32bit audio only in floating point format, not in signed
integer (s32) format. So currently Bino just rejects s32 audio. However,
we could convert s32 to float ourselves either during decoding or before
playback relatively easy. We could do this in-place because both data
types are 32bit. It would lose a little bit of precision, but not much.

If you have a link to a freely accessible sample file, I can look into
this during the next few days.

Martin