bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Release plans

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Release plans
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:54:08 +0200

Hi Robert!

On 14/04/11 10:29, Robert Pliszko wrote:
>> Yes, I can understand that BD3D would be nice. Unfortunately, the BD3D
>> format specifications deliberately try to prevent free software
>> implementations. So there is currently not even free software support
>> for the basic Multi-View-Coding video format found on BD3D, let alone
>> all the DRM problems. Currently, we can do nothing about it.
>
> Hmm... Look on the http://forum.biohemmet.se/ . Mforbes6186 has written
> 3DBDBuster application which convert BD3D to mkv (2 separate files,
> over/under or sbs). It's basing on ldecode  (decode ssif files comparing
> to m2ts, modified by alexpk) - part of
> http://iphome.hhi.de/suehring/tml/download.
> A lot of informations and projects we can find on http://forum.doom9.org.
> The libbluray is writting by vlc community.
> In connection to DRM, we could focus on playing ripped BD3D like iso
> file, or BD structure.
> However it's the way to play BD3D with DRM, by using keys (libbluray
> support it). The key of BD we can grab used DumpHD.

Ah, ok, so there are several projects and activities in this direction
already. I did not know about that.

I'm sure the file format and codec work will sooner or later find its
way into FFmpeg, and then Bino will be able to handle this. Another
aspect is of course the structure of the disc. I never used BD3D myself,
but I assume there is some menu format and all sorts of special
functionality, similar to DVD, only more complex?

This is a much harder problem than just supporting the file format. We
would probably have to make substantial changes to Bino to support this
- similar to DVDs: there is libdvdread now, but to actually use it in
Bino would require some restructuring.

This is probably a worthwhile longterm goal, but I don't think we should
postpone 1.0 until we have that :)

>> That should already work! Just open multiple files at once from
>> File->Open or on the command line, and Bino will let you choose between
>> all the streams it can find in any of them.
>
> I'll upgrade my bino to latest version and test it. Is the option to add
> external subtittle file via command line? If no, I ask to add it :-).

You can just select multiple files in the File->Open dialog, or give
multiple files on the command line.

Martin