bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] PPA for bino with ffmpeg-mt

From: Lion-Simba
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] PPA for bino with ffmpeg-mt
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 23:27:37 +0600

> Hi!
>
> > I've add new command-line parameter: -tN|--threads=N, which then passed
> > to ffmpeg decoder, setting the number of decoding threads. For best
> > results start bino with number of threads equal to number of processors
> > (cores) your system have, e.g. bino -t2
>
> I just tried that on my quad core, but did not see any performance
> improvement. Is it possible that this only works for a subset of codecs?

Yes, it is possible. As I know it is most noticeable on h264 codec. I
got double performance improvement on my dual core when watching "h264,
yuv420p, 1280x1440" 3d top-bottom file. It is also noticeable in "top"
output - bino process consume 160-185% CPU with ffmpeg-mt versus 90-95%
(only one core) with standard ffmpeg.

> The threading stuff seems to be available also in vanilla ffmpeg from
> ffmpeg.org (e.g. avcodec_thread_init()). Do you know what additional
> changes ffmpeg-mt has?

No, I don't know what additional changes ffmpeg-mt has. It is available
here: http://gitorious.org/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-mt Somebody can compare this
git-repo with ffmpeg git-repo and find out. I don't know how to do
this. :)

Also, ffmpeg-mt enabled mplayer is often advised on linux-related forums
to speed-up FullHD video playback:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1049449 for example.

Alexey.