bibledit-general

Re: [be] Multiple Verse USFM problem in export to SWORD

From: Daniel Owens
Subject: Re: [be] Multiple Verse USFM problem in export to SWORD
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:27:19 +0700

My understanding of the way the SWORD engine works is that when a USFM file is converted to OSIS and then to a SWORD module, a verse is included for each verse in the KJV. That means that non-KJV versification is forced into the KJV mold. Changes in the engine are coming in the not-so-distant future, but for now you're stuck with the limitation. I don't think there is anything you can do to solve it on your end. Someone could correct me if I am wrong, but that's my understanding.

Daniel

Luke & Ruth Schroeder wrote:
I have had this problem with taking USFM to SWORD as well as taking USFM to GoBible and was wondering if anyone would know of an immediate solution or if the programs have to be updated.

Standard format in both translation teams I'm connected with for the first verse of a chapter is: \v 1

Some translation issues require that two verses be translated into one sentence and therefore the translation must within the text label it 1-3 etc. Standard format in both translation teams projects I'm connected with for verse 1-3 being translated is as follows
\v 1-3

My problem is that this apparently is not recognized. So in my wife's translation language the original translator combined the genealogies of Matthew 1 like this. When Matthew 1:2-6 are combined, then SWORD leaves verses 3-6 empty instead of noticing that they were combined in from verse 2 until 6.

Anyone have any solutions? Is there better coding for USFM or is there a solution that doesn't involve program changes, but changes on my side of things.

Any expertise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Luke