axiom-math

Re: [Axiom-math] Groebner bases of a set of equations

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] Groebner bases of a set of equations
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 13:26:41 -0500

Dear Sureyya:

I suggest you put the parameters in DMP and set the main equation variables in DMP or POLY. That way, you won't have any ambiguity.

A groebner basis consisting of just 1 means the ideal generated by the given set of polynomials is the whole ring, but you need to know which ring your original set of parametric polynomials are in to interpret the result. Moreover, a system of parametric equations is DIFFERENT from a system of equations whose coefficient ring is another polynomial ring, because you are then solving the parametric system generically, rather than parametrically.

As an example, if you solve bx=1, where b is a parameter and x the unknown in DMP([x], FRAC POLY INT) (pseudo code only, as I don't remember the correct syntax), you will get x = 1/b, and clearly this is not valid when b = 0 (but of course, b is NOT zero in FRAC POLY INT---it is an indeterminate.

Solving a parametric algebraic system [1] should produce a covering of the parametric space where each "regime" in the cover is defined by a set of equations and inequations in the parametric variables and a solution in the main variables under the parametric conditions of the regime. In the simple example above, the cover consists of two regimes: b = 0 (no solution) and b \neq 0 (solution x = 1/b).

[1] Not to be confused with "parametric equations", which is parametrization or parametric representation of solutions of an algebraic equation, such as using x = cos theta, y = sin theta for x^2 + y^2 = 1.

For LINEAR systems in the main variables, I have a package called PLEQN (Parametric linear equations) that you may want to check out. See my paper on the subject:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0747717108801046
I am not aware of any package to solve general parametric algebraic equations in Axiom (but I have not kept up-to-date on Axiom). Mathematica has a built-in function called Reduce that seems to do that (it is even more general as it deals with inequalities as well, but the algorithm appears to be proprietary and it does not produce a Groebner basis).

William

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 08:15:41 -0500