axiom-math

Re: [Axiom-math] Help

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] Help
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:36:40 -0500

On 12 Nov 2007 16:01:34 +0100, Martin Rubey wrote:
> Papy MASIALA <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Now I'm using Axiom Computer Algebra to solve problems analytically.
>
> Welcome to the club!
>

> > It's runing on Windows XP.  Its command windows has the following header :
> >
> >                          AXIOM Computer Algebra System
> >               Version of Monday January 17, 2005 at 22:31:38
>

> I'm afraid to tell you that *this* version of axiom doesn't support graphics
> on
> MS Windows at all.  You have, I think, 3 sensible possibilities:
>
> * use VMware to run axiom in a virtual linux environment
> * use colinux to do something similar
> * use the native MS Windows version of FriCAS (which is a fork of axiom)
>
> For all of these options, Bill Page & Waldek Hebisch can probably answer in
> more detail.  Also, you then will have access to the interactive help browser.

There is still no "native" MS Windows version of FriCAS that includes
graphics, although there is a version that runs under Cygwin. On
windows I prefer to use 'andLinux' (which is an Ubuntu distribution
running under colinux. I have a downloadable version that has
'andLinux' with Axiom pre-installed if you are interested. Please
check the FriCAS archives.

Regards,
Bill Page.