Re: [Axiom-mail] Viewpoint manager missing

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Viewpoint manager missing
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 11:26:53 +0200

Hallo Peter,

FriCAS is a different project (a fork of AXIOM) with mailing list
<address@hidden> .

On 6/4/19 10:51 AM, Peter van Summeren wrote:
> Hello,
> I installed Fricas on Debian from source.
> Fricas works fine in a terminal window
> But if I do:
> draw( sin ( tan (  x ) - tan ( sin ( x ) ) , x = 0..6)
>
> I get "Graph data being transmitted to the viewport manager..." and it
> hangs!
>
> What can I do? No idea what a viewport manager is. Where to get it?
> With friendly greetings,
> Peter

Probably what I say here applies to both Axiom and FriCAS.

If you start FriCAS via the 'fricas' script, then (depending on how you
have compiled FriCAS and what resources are available) it will spawn a
few processes, among them is HyperDoc, a viewport manager, and the
actual FriCAS process (still called AXIOMsys). All this is managed by a
super process (called s(uper)man). In your case, the AXIOMsys process
computes the graphics and wants to transmit it to the viewport manager
(an engine that displays the data and lets you interactively work with it).

I suspect, that something went wrong with your compilation (graphics has
been turned off for some reason by the ./configure run. Without looking
at the log files, I cannot say. Please send your config.log to
fricas-devel. Anything that you think might be helpful to solve your
problem is welcome.

Ralf