[Axiom-mail] Doubt about IndexedExponents

From: Gabriel Pires
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Doubt about IndexedExponents
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 19:28:01 -0300

Hay all, good evening =),

Well, I'm having some problems in understanding the way "IndexedExponents" work.

I'm trying to use the RESRING domain, to create and manipulate Residue Rings.

I managed to properly create one object from ResidueRing by doing:

R := FRAC(INT)   -- defining the field

ls : List Symbol := [x]
V := OVAR(ls)
-- V is the OrderedSet of ls, as the variables on the
-- polynomial ring I will create

E := IndexedExponents(V)
-- Well, I don't know how this works, but I need an
-- OrderedAbelianMonoidSup to create a
-- Residue Ring, this step is the one I'm trying to get
-- help to understand

P := NSMP(R,V)
-- Defining the polynomial ring, of only one variable

L := [x**2 - 1]
-- Defining the Ideal which I'm going to use to
-- get my Residue Ring

S := ResidueRing(R, E, V, P, L)

Then I can properly use S to calculate what I want in that Residue Ring, but I certainly wish to know more about the IndexedExponents, like what it does and why it is needed.

Thanks in advance!