Re: [Axiom-mail] finding source code

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] finding source code
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:35:07 +0100

I have been looking for an open source computer algebra system for some time although I did not try any, I came across Axiom in lists of such systems but I did not try it because (for some reason) I was put off when it said that it was based on LISP.

Well, I guess, but now you have realised that axiom has a lot of languages.
http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/AxiomProgramming

SPAD being the language of choice for new library development. The input language that you type at the axiom prompt is close to spad, but add some convenient type coercions that are unwanted in library programming.

Anyway, SPAD is statically typed which means that every type must be known at compile time. There is no need for runtime type checking anymore. SPAD has been designed and developed with the goal to program mathematics. Although developed 30 years ago it has features that are much better done (compare java generics with parametric domains and categories in SPAD).

As you can see the program seems to work except the draw function which seems to fail with:

System error:
Unknown bfd format

I guess Tim Daly will help you with that one. Graphics is not one of my strengths.

So, that's my experience so far, apart from these small problems it looks like a very useful program.

Axiom used to be one of the 3 big Computer Algebra Systems. Unfortunately, Axiom has a very steep learning curve. All these types that are actually quite useful get in the way when one wants to do things quickly. However, these types enable Axiom to construct type hierarchies that neither Maple nor Mathematica can construct today in a natural way.

And I would also like to draw your attention to the Axiom-Wiki. You can actually edit and add pages. Yes, you can! There, you even can enter actual Axiom code (inside \begin{axiom} ... \end{axiom}) and have it evaluated when you save the page. Try it out. Maybe you should first start with a page that has "SandBox" at the beginning of its page name.

Ralf