[Axiom-mail] Axiom on MacOSXPPC ... pty problem

From: Charles Dyer
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Axiom on MacOSXPPC ... pty problem
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:18:33 -0500

I have been using Axiom on Linux, and just installed it on my Mac-PPC
with OS X Tiger, using the March 2008 binary distribution.

When I try to start Axiom, I get the following:

    ptyopen: Failed to open /dev/ptmx: No such file or directory
    start_the_Axiom: ptyopen failed: No such file or directory

and axiom exits with status 255 to the shell.

I have tried this from both X and the usual graphics display in Tiger OS
X.

This suggests to me that this is related to the /dev/pty problem listed
on the http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/download.html site
under the heading: Mac OSX PPC

Is there some work-around for this? How does one suppress the use of
pseudo terminals? Is there a command line switch related to this?

Thanks,

- charles

--
Professor Charles C. Dyer
Physical and Environmental Sciences, UTSC