[Axiom-mail] Problem with function "solve"

From: Rodrigo Canaan
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Problem with function "solve"
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 00:39:55 -0300

Well I am trying to solve a big system of linear equations on Axiom. It's equations are stored in a list called D. The problem is, when I call the function solve(D), it gives me an error, saying the system doesn't have a finite number of answers. I first thoguht it is because the system is not determined.

But if I try solving a smaller system with the same function solve, it will return me a parametric  answer, instead of that error

The files I annexed generate the system. If you read all files on axiom and then call principal (wich is the portuguese word for "main"), you will have, in the variables P and Q, 2 polynomials, in the variable lista, a list containing information on some straight lines ([a,b,c] meaning "a*x+b*y+c=0), and, in the variable D, the system that will be solved, that was creating based on P, Q, and lista. But, if you tri to solve(D), it won't work, even thought D actually contains a system (you can chek by just printing it's value).

If anyone knows why the function solve isn't working for the system D, it would help me a lot!

Thanks!