[Axiom-mail] Plotting 3d graphs and vector fields in axiom

From: Luke Dickens
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Plotting 3d graphs and vector fields in axiom
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:01:12 +0100

Hi,

I have been using axiom (quite sucessfully I think) to generate certain functions with 2 parameters and wish to plot these. In particular, I want to plot 3d surfaces with a contour map underneath and to plot vector fields of certain combinations of the derivatives of my functions.

Until recently I have been copying and pasting the output from axiom into gnuplot files, then adding multiplication signs and powers manually. I can then plot these in gnuplot to .svg files and I am quite pleased with the results, but as my functions increase in size I am finding it more of a chore editing the output from axiom as input to gnuplot.

My questions are:

Can I get axiom to plot these graphs directly and output them as svg files (I can't seem to find a rich enough plotting interface in axiom)?

If not can I plug gnuplot into axiom in someway such that the axiom output is sent directly to gnuplot (without manual editing)?

If not, is there some output style from axiom that can be interpretted by gnuplot? (I would also appreciate knowing if I can store output from axiom for later input baclkinto axiom).

Thanks in advance,
bertram