Re: [Axiom-mail] Going mad with pattern matching

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Going mad with pattern matching
Date: 30 May 2007 15:41:30 +0200

"Alasdair McAndrew" <address@hidden> writes:

> I also notice, while hunting through /src/algebra, that there is an
> "applyRules" function; but as with "suchThat", it's not mentioned in the
> documentation; at least, not in the Rules and Pattern Matching section (6.21)
> of the Axiom book.  Maybe these two functions are part of the source code for
> rules, and not meant to be used by casual users?  Or maybe the documentation
> for rules should be rewritten to include these?

Well, in my opinion the ultimative source of documentation is HyperDoc.  Since
it is dynamically generated, you will find every function there.  And if a
function is not meant for the "casual" user, the documentation should say so.
(For example, some functions are exported only because of a compiler bug.)

The book is an excellent introduction into the world of axiom, but it will be
hard to cover all functionality within one book.  Even the Mathematica book
covers only a fraction of Mathematica.

Martin