Re: [Axiom-mail] comparison operators and %pi

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] comparison operators and %pi
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 17:09:18 +1000

I also notice that pi is defined as an operator, so that pi() returns the result %pi.  I wonder how hard it would be to include useful constants in Axiom, and to be able to enter (for example)

solve(integrate(1/x,x=1..t)=1,t)

and obtain the answer %e.

Alasdair

On 25 May 2007 06:42:37 +0200, Martin Rubey <address@hidden > wrote:
"Alasdair McAndrew" <address@hidden > writes:

> I find the behaviour of constants rather inconsistent.

Yes, certainly.

> And it's odd that %e::Float doesn't work, but %e+0::Float

look at the type of %e+0.0 and you will understand.  Note that it is *not*
Float.

> (and any other arithmetic involving %e) does.

No: sin(%e)::Float does not work.

> Also, the Euler-Mascheroni constant should be in there!

Yes, certainly.

Martin