[Axiom-mail] Terminal Fonts and Axiom

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Terminal Fonts and Axiom
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:03:37 -0800 (PST)

--- C Y <address@hidden> wrote:

> --- Themos Tsikas <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Those characters used to work for a specific IBM font on the
> > RS/6000. I  believe that the encoding is cp850 or ibm850. When
> > you use a font with an iso8859 encoding, you get the mess you
> > describe.

A little more info on this - after tracking the set character output
back through the code, it looks like i-output.boot.pamphlet is where
the font definitions take place.

Some of the definitions appear using this form:

SETANDFILEQ($plainSpecialCharacters0,[
    EBCDIC( 78),      -- upper left corner   (+)
    EBCDIC( 78),      -- upper right corner  (+)
etc.

EBCDIC would appear to refer to Extended Binary Coded Decimal
Interchange Code, apparently an alternative to ASCII.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBCDIC

Judging by the chart on wikipedia, 78 would be 4E in hexadecimal which
is indeed the + character.  plainRTspecialCharacters seems to hold
definitions not relying on the EBCDIC encoding.  As near as I can tell
there are several styles of character output for EBCDIC plain and
default, and the RT definitions which appear to be the ones which work
on modern systems.

Interesting.  I wonder how much flexibility is built into this
arrangement.  Perhaps character sets which look better than either
default or plain could be selected.

Cheers,
CY

Sponsored Link