[Axiom-mail] Axiom in Emacs - a little problem

From: Franz Huber
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Axiom in Emacs - a little problem
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:23:42 +0100

After having found too much problems with Axiom in WinTeXmacs, I´ve now
switched to Emacs as an user interface for Axiom.

With the Lisp script on the 'Axiom in Emacs' site (by Cliff Yapp) it was easy
to get a working and quite comfortable UI for Axiom -
there´s only one problem left for me:

I would prefer switch to the 'default' character set for Axiom´s output,
because this set looks better IMO.
But after entering the necessary command

)set output character default

I don´t get the expected graphical characters for ASCII codes > 128,
but some special international letter like Ä, Ù and so on.

Example:

When entering 1/x, I get

1

instead of

1
-

In the meantime I´ve looked at dozens of Internet sites for Emacs and I´ve
tried almost everything having to to with configuring character sets, languages
and so on, but without any success! :-(

So my question:
Does anybody know how to configure Emacs, that it will show all ASCII
characters (also the graphic chars > 128) in the usual way, i.e. without any
translations?
(Or maybe this has to be done in the above mentioned Lisp script, which calls
Axiom?)

Regards,
Franz.