[Axiom-mail] Re: Outputting S-expressions

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Re: Outputting S-expressions
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 18:52:56 +0100

Hi,

root <address@hidden> writes:

> | > One minor thing: in the output file, variable names are enclosed in `|'
> | > (e.g., `(+ 1 |x|)').  Is there a way to turn it off?
> |
> | Similarly, Axiom sometimes issues additional information that is not
> | relevant to me, for instance:
> |
> |   (|primeFactor| (|::| |lambda| #0=(|Polynomial| (|Integer|))) 1)

> |   (|primeFactor| (|::| (+ |lambda| (* (+ R 1) |beta|)) #0#) 4)
> |
> | Is there a way one could tweak it into removing those additional
> | annotations?
>
> The output syntax says that these are eq objects (that is, they
> share the same memory locations). The #0= syntax says that this
> is the first instance of the s-expression and the #0# syntax says
> that this is a repeat. You can set *print-circle* to false to
> skip this syntax but be aware that a circular structure might
> print forever. From the Axiom prompt do:
>
> -> )lisp (setq *print-circle* nil)

Thanks for your quick answer.

I had actually guessed that this had something to do with shared
sublists.

However, what I'm interested in is removing the type and type conversion
information, i.e., the `::' and `primeFactor'.  IOW, I'd like to get
exactly the same information as is available on the console (or other
output styles), no more.  Is this feasible?

Maybe what I'm really looking for is an `sexp' output style?

Thanks,
Ludovic.