Re: [Axiom-mail] Windows: where's the documentation?

From: Paul vL
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Windows: where's the documentation?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:58:22 +0100

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply.

I actually made a start trying to compile Axiom using MSYS/MingW but got
stuck. As an experienced MingW user I know how much trouble it can cost
to solve all these issues (I'm currently trying to build GCC cross-Arm
tools under MSYS/Mingw, it does *not* work out of the box and needs
lots of patching). As I also have other projects lying around
which I like to finish, I currently do not have time to go along this road...

> If neither of them does, please send mail again, and I'll try to do something
> myself.
>
> Alternatively, if you are keen on programming and know some perl, then maybe
> Ralf Hemmecke would be able to show you how to modify his AllProse to get
> something similar to HyperDoc. But I guess this is more difficult.
>
> The great thing about hyperdoc is that you can enter a category, say, for
> example, Ring, then press on a button labelled "Domains" and you will get all
> Domains known to Axiom that are Rings. I.e., Integer, Polynomial Integer,
> Fraction Integer, PrimeField, and so on.

How would that be different from any format that allows hyperlinking?
Hypertex is IMHO quite obscure, and I cannot see a big benefit for using it
over standard solutions which are widely supported.

I do not ask to ditch Hypertex, but just another option to help all
Windows users out there.

I'm actually quite fluent using all kind of source-to-source conversion
tooling, so what I can imagine is that I'll write a small conversion
utility that converted the hypertex files into another format.

> In my opinion, that's the best way to discover Axiom.

I would like to have *any* such documentation, so I totally agree here.

> Martin
>

> PS: I just remember, Kai Kaminski has converted some pages to html. But again,
> I don't think that's the way to go.

Without going in too much discussion; I still do not understand what benefits
Hypertex has over other more standard solutions, certainly given that currently
Windows has *no* Hypertex support.

Regards,
Paul