Re: [Axiom-mail] tracking the solver

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] tracking the solver
Date: 07 Dec 2005 23:02:30 +0100

Jurgis Pralgauskis <address@hidden> writes:

> hello,

> I generaly know, what Axiom is up to, but I am interested, is it possible to
> track the solver as the problem is beeing solved can I get step by step
> output (as we are taught in calculus studies) instead of just the final
> answer?

Well, the perfect solution does not exist yet, although I have ideas how to go
about it. Meanwhile you can do the following (if you have a lot of time...)

* Find out which routines are invoked

this can be done with

)set message bottom on

to get a rough picture. As soon as you know in which domain/package the
routines are that you are interested in, say

)trace XYZ )math

where XYZ is the name of the package.

Alternatively, you go to the source, edit it by inserting statements like

  output("Doing Gaussian elimination")$OutputPackage

and compile the modified file with

)co xyz.spad

If you do something along this lines, this would be truly useful (and it will
pretty much guarantee that you will know the relevant algorithms by heart
soon). Thus, if you start doing this, please post your experiences and
modifications. Maybe we can incorporate them in a more general solution!

Martin