Re: [Axiom-mail] Compiling Axiom

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Compiling Axiom
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 03:11:25 -0400

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 08:55:01PM -0400, Jelena i Zoran wrote:

> I compiled axiom at work using Red Hat Fedora Core 2 without any problems.
> Axiom does not run when I type "axiom". It returns "Could not find a
> free pty" instead.

I have experienced this same problem a few days ago while installing
Axiom on a fresh Mandrake 10 system. I am not very familiar with the
Mandrake or Redhat distros, but I know they have been fairly similar
in the past. Perhaps this fix will work for you. You probably have
restrictive permissions for the pty devices under /dev/pty. Try giving
yourself read/write access (the error is coming from clef, the Axiom
rewrite of GNU Readline, which explains why you do not see the same
problem when executing AXIOMsys).

Sincerely,
Steve