Re: [Axiom-mail] Re: AXIOM available?

From: acn1
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Re: AXIOM available?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:21:59 +0100 (BST)

I have just fetched the axiom cvs tree, and have a few stray and
maybe non-technical queries or comments:

(a) Congratulations to all on the executable snapshot on www.tenkan.org.
It is great to see the system released again! That must have been a fair
amount of work for a bunch of you!

(b) When I look at my CCL code in thw way you have adjusted the sources I
see them listed as \author{Nicolas Bourbaki} with my copyright and
attribution removed from the file. This seems odd in both directions. I
should check if you have authority from the Bourbaki organisation to use
their name and I should suggest that I much prefer that you do not list
people other than my as the author of my code!!! Of course with open
source code I can not prevent you from any action you wish to take!

This may turn into a discussion to find an alternative pseudonym that is
not already widely known and taken to refer to somebody else... you could
consider Giles Murchiston and maybe some of you know of him already but as
far as I know he has not undertaken any projects of this size before.

(c) In your default makefile you set SPAD to /home/axiomgnu/new. But if I
look at specifically the Axiom license it is BSD-like and is NOT the Gnu
Public license, and so this naming seems to me to invite people to be
confused over license terms. Using a default name along the lines of
/home/openaxiom/new would surely run less risk of generating confusion or
encouraging future breaches of license terms, eg by improperly combining
bits of axiom with bits of GPL-licensed code?

(d) You are at present not using CCL in your build effort, so you might
like to consider removing it from the CVS tree. I note that gcl (that you
are using) has not had its copyright notices at the top of each file
adjusted and has not been converted into pamphlet form - when and if CCL
is to be used I might prefer to follow the same pattern since being a
terribly insular and old fashioned type I remain unlikely to want to
follow your particular pampleted style for any support or development I do
on my Lisp.

(e) Once again congratulations on having got so far building a workable
version of Axiom and good luck with the continuing effort.

    Arthur