[Axiom-mail] Handbook of Mathematical Functions

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Handbook of Mathematical Functions
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 21:54:44 -0500

Gentlemen,

I've just visited your Handbook of Mathematical Functions website
(http://dlmf.nist.gov).  I see that you have a chapter in the handbook
on Computer Algebra but I do not see anyone listed as an author.

I'm interested in this project and, in particular, the algorithms
portion of the various chapters.

I'm working to open source Axiom, which is a computer algebra system
that was released to me by the Numerical Algorithms Group (NAG) in
September 2002. I'd like to know more about your plans to approach
algorithms and their descriptions. It would be of great value to
the scientific community if the algorithms were available in a
language that could be run in an open source computer algebra system
like Axiom. In particular, Axiom is one of the "big 3", Mathematica
and Maple being the other two, and is a fully general purpose
system with a large range of functions. Axiom will be available at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/axiom as soon as I complete the
process of making it open source.

Can you tell me if an author has been chosen for the Computer Algebra
section? Can you tell me if you plan to publish the algorithms (the
sample chapter has none)?

Tim Daly
address@hidden