axiom-legal

RE: [Axiom-legal] Licensing Aldor (was: GPL vs. modified BSD)

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-legal] Licensing Aldor (was: GPL vs. modified BSD)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:28:06 -0500

On November 20, 2006 5:11 PM C Y wrote:

> --- Bill Page wrote:
> > The Aldor Public License does not distinguish between binary
> > versus source code formats. It does state specifically what
> > one's obligations would be *if* one were to make modifications
> > to the source code. If you read the intention of the Aldor
> > Public License and the history section of the aldor.org web
> > site, it gives the distinct impression that Aldor in toto
> > is publicly available.
>
> However, since this is apparently not the case (I assume the
> compiler source code is somewhere other than in the distribution)

Yes, there is a cvs source archive on another aldor.org machine
that is accessible only to users with an account on that machine.
The binary distribution (several versions) is available for free
download as a tarball (after you agree to the Aldor Public License).
The tarball *does* not include the C source code of the compiler
nor the source code of some runtime libraries.

The copy of the Aldor source code that I obtained after I contacted
Steven Watt last year (August 2005) when I wanted to re-compile
Aldor for use on x86-46 hardware did not come with any license
statement nor a non-disclosure agreement of any kind. However I did
not obtain it through "normal" channels (assuming that such does in
fact exist) since Steven himself did not reply to my request until