axiom-legal

RE: [Axiom-legal] RE: Aldor and Axiom

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-legal] RE: Aldor and Axiom
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:15:13 -0500

On February 13, 2006 11:16 PM C Y wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> > Unfortunately this is unavoidable. That is
> > why I would propose to choose a provisional open source license
> > for the Aldor part of the distribution that would not preclude a
> > more open license at a later date.
>
> It makes sense, but if I'm reading that right the Aldor license
> just doesn't permit it - maybe GPL + full rights to Aldor.org
> would work.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Of course we cannot and do not
wish to interfere with any of the rights currently held by
Aldor.org. What Aldor.org does with Aldor would still be up to
them. What I am contemplating is the parallel distribution of Aldor
sources as part of the Axiom project. In that case I am arguing
that we might be able to safely do this provided that we choose
an open source license that is compatible with but more conservative
than the current Aldor license.

So far all we know about the Aldor license is what applies to the
binary and (some source) parts of Aldor. But the license specifically
states that there are some source parts of Aldor that are not part
of that distribution. The implication elsewhere on the Aldor.org
web site is that a separate "source license" is also available
(only by special request) which covers the rest of the Aldor source.
As I understand it, it is this latter source license which will
eventually be converted to some form of open source license for
all of Aldor and available publicly.

*If* we were to distribute Aldor source code as part of or in
parallel with the Axiom open source distribution then we would
just be doing this in advance of the actual "official" open source
release of Aldor by Aldor.org.

Regards,
Bill Page.