axiom-legal

[Axiom-legal] RE: clef, readline, and the GPL

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-legal] RE: clef, readline, and the GPL
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:27:20 -0500

Tim,

On Monday, November 03, 2003 12:44 PM you wrote:

> clef and readline tend to do the same things but at
> different levels. clef works at the axiom read level
> (in fact, you can "clef"-ify any program by typing
> "clef -e program").

That is very interesting. Was clef something invented
"way-back" before AXIOM or specifically for AXIOM but in
a generalized manner? For example, can I clef a shell on
Solaris or some other *nix platform that doesn't have
the Linux readline built-in? I gotta try that.

> <flame-on>

I don't really care to debate legal issues. In fact I
think the existing status quo seems to be be working
very well. On the other hand, if I go for a walk in the
woods where other people like to walk their dogs, then
I usually try not to put my foot in "it" if I can avoid
it ...

Now that we have clef for AXIOM, I do not see any point
in keeping readline. It is just extra code with no purpose,
right? In fact, if we were to turn on the readline
functionality (si::init-readline) together with clef,
wouldn't there be some confusion between them? I'll try
that later.

Clearly (I think) GCL without --enable-readline need not
be GPL. By status quo and choice of the current authors,
GCL is LGPL and can therfore be incorporated into a commercial
product, specifically not requiring that product to be free
software. Likewise AXIOM built using GCL without --enable-
readline makes it possible for AXIOM also to be incorporated
into commercial proprietary programs.

I think this is desirable for reasons very similar to those
given by the Free Software Foundation (FSF) for the existence
of LGPL - limiting access to AXIOM to only free software
projects might simply drive some possible users away to
more attractive commercial alternatives. It is much better
I think, that people with money and resources see AXIOM as
another resource that can be further enhanced for mutual
benefit rather than as competing or as sidelined by overly
restrictive licensing conditions. Then access to free
mathematical software benefits because at least the axiom
part of the partnership remains freely available.

> <flame off>
>
> That said, I do appreciate that you did not copy the
> developer list as it will only touch off another pointless
> flame-fest.

Well, this is addressed to axiom-legal - the place where
such flames are supposed to burn themselves out. Right?

> Bill, I know this seems directed at you but it REALLY isn't.
> It's just my frustration being vented. My sincere apologies
> if you found it offensive.

Not at all. One of my old physics professors (who later
became a good friend) always used to say that venting was
good for both your stomach and your heart - and he meant
it quite literally. But now that I come to think about it,
his manners would definitely have been offensive to some
people ... <grin>

Cheers,
Bill Page.