Re: Axiom musings...

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: Axiom musings...
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 02:06:11 -0500

I just ran across an interesting example about the difference
between testing and proving (not that I need to be convinced).
http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/Labo/Samuel.Mimram/teaching/INF551/course.pdf
(page 10):

On day one, our mathematician finds out using a formal computation software
that

\int{\sin(t)/t}{dt} = \pt/2

On day two, he tries to play around a bit with such formulas and finds out that

\int{(\sin(t)/t) (\sin(t/101)/(t/101)}{dt} = \p2/2

On day three, he thinks maybe a pattern could emerge and discovers that

\int{(\sin(t)/t) (\sin(t/101)/(t/101) (\sin(t/201)/(t/201))}{dt} = \p2/2

On day four, he gets quite confident and conjectures that, for every n∈N,

\int{\prod{ /sin(t/(100n+1)) / (t/(100n+1))}{dt} = \pi/2

In fact, the conjecture breaks starting at

n= 15 341 178 777 673 149 429 167 740 440 969 249 338 310 889

and none of the usual tests would have found this out.

Tim