Re: [Axiom-developer] Semantic Latex

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Semantic Latex
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 08:39:35 -0400

>>Another problem is that mathematicians do not mean what they write:
>> $\frac{x+1}2$ is logically an element of Z(x), but the mathematician probably intended Q[x].

>I think that most people using DLMF.nist.gov  would not know or care.
> It's not their part of mathematics

I think this is the fundamental change that Axiom (and computational mathematics
in general) adds to the question. I've previoiusly called this the "provisos" question.
What are the conditions on a formula for it to be valid and applicable?

What "semantic latex" would introduce is explicit conditions on the formulas such as
"Fraction Integer" or "Complex", as well as conditions on the analytic continuations
for branch cuts.

The likely result would be that one formula in G&R might turn into several because
a simplification that is available over C might not be available over R.

This adds to the size of the tables but makes their computational mathematics
use much easier. Suppose that 3.7.14 was split based on provisos into one
formula valid over R and one valid over C (based on a simplification).

A "computational mathematics G&R" would be quite useful, possibly leading to a
normalization of assumptions made by the various systems....as in, "Oh, we were
using 3.7.14a (valid only over R) and you were using 3.7.14b (valid over C)"

It would also highlight research questions as "we can handle integration of
3.7.14a but not 3.7.14b