Re: [Axiom-developer] Compiling Axiom on Ubuntu 14.04, 64 bit

From: daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Compiling Axiom on Ubuntu 14.04, 64 bit
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 22:54:18 -0500

>The instructions available here:
>
>http://www.axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/download.html
>
>include the initial step of setting randomize_va_space to 0, with:
>
>echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space

No, this is no longer necessary. I will remove it.

>Also, are there any GUIs for axiom other that Texmacs (which I've found in
>the past to be unstable and prone to freezing)?

Axiom has a web browser front end that ''works'' in that you can
type an input and it will open a <div> to show the output. There is
still a great deal of work to be done to port the pages from the
hyperdoc browser. The pages are created during the build in
mnt/ubuntu/doc/hypertex/*.xhtml. The last thing done on that effort
was to try to implement web-sockets so the interface was reactive.

All of the machinery has been demonstrated but it is still only
demo-ware at this stage.

One of the project goals is to re-implement (and improve) the
hyperdoc machinery. Also in-plan is to re-implement the graphics
using the browser <canvas> tag. There also needs to be a tight
connection between the browser and the pdfs so you can "drill down"
on any piece of algebra by viewing the source code and explanation.
As usual, pieces exist.

>Finally, I believe that Axiom is the only open-source software which
>includes a complete implementation of the Risch decision algorithm for
>symbolic integration; done by the late Manuel Bronstein initially in the
>1970's and 1980's.  Is this correct?  I suppose that the major commercial
>systems support as complete integration routines as possible, but Axiom has
>the edge on other (free) systems as far as I know.

As far as I know Axiom has the "most complete" implementation.
There are still cases which are not implemented but Manuel did more
that anyone else.

Tim