Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom Design Musings

From: Martin Baker
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom Design Musings
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 10:56:00 +0000

Tim,

Thank you for the interesting post about Axiom design and use of lisp.

I wondered if you ever considered Clojure?

I have very little practical experience of Lisp, so please forgive my ignorance but, I get the impression that Clojure has better type checking?

Also use of JVM means it has access to extensive Libraries (powerful graphics and so on). Also concurrency so no need for 'C' code.

I am also curios why SPAD has "poor notion of low-level implementation concepts". From what I can see SPAD appears to implement code as an algorithm like other languages and (for instance) structures tend to be built up from lists rather than sets. I'm not advocating SPAD as a system language I'm just curious about what the real issue is.

Martin