Re: [Axiom-developer] Projects Suggestions

From: daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Projects Suggestions
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 09:26:23 -0600

>> For the browser based frontend, it may be worthwhile to look into the
>> Jupyter project.

>https://groups.google.com/d/msg/fricas-devel/WgMV4uGgqXM/adKDWBU_32MJ

That looks really nice. I like the partial-complete dropdown.

>I have that running locally.
>Probably needs improvement (especially direct zeroqm connection instead
>of doing it over pexpect), but Kurt's work is already working now, (but
>needs IPython3.)

I did a full project for law enforcement using python. Frankly, I would
only consider using it for prototyping in the future. (Not trying to
start a flame-thread. We already know my opinions are not widely
agreed-upon, so ignore me).

The Axiom browser implementation communicates bidirectionally at the
lisp level with Javascript in the browser. I've done some work (see
bookvol11) on the API so that Lisp generates high-level javascript
function calls and javascript generates lisp function calls. When
combined with the literate programming "getchunk" mechanism it is
easy to generate pages.

For instance, in a web page implementation just adding the line
\getchunk{axiom talker}
will include javascript API functions in the generated web page
to call lisp code or run interpreter commands.

The Axiom "network" interface should be a well-defined API and
I've not given that much thought. Done right, the API would allow
Axiom to work with python, javascript, or any other network-aware
program (e.g. a mailer, a graphics engine, or BRL-CAD for 3D).

This would be a better, more well thought out approach... so I
guess it is time to "thought it out" :-)

Tim