Re: [Axiom-developer] TexFormat with latex output

From: Eugene Surowitz
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] TexFormat with latex output
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 18:58:13 -0400

My comments were motivated by Master Knuth's influence from reading TUGboat  vol.35 no.1 p.5 (see below)

"The TeX Tuneup of 2014".    Rather than suppressing creativity, a sound and stable platform base

enables it.  PanAxiom is not that yet.  The ")set" issue was the jumping off point to support that.

I see what you mean if someone wants to write an output routine that meets their needs;  no problem.

I doubt most people will be doing things like that;  stability first;  developers are another breed of cat.

Knuth:

The index to Digital Typography lists eleven pages where the importance of stability is stressed, and I urge all maintainers of TEX and 􏰋􏰉􏰎􏰈􏰊􏰍􏰌􏰎 to read them again every few years. Any object of nontrivial complexity is non-optimum, in the sense that it can be improved in some way (while still remaining non-optimum); therefore there’s always a rea- son to change anything that isn’t trivial. But one of TEX’s principal advantages is the fact that it does not change — except for serious flaws whose correction is unlikely to affect more than a very tiny number of archival doc- uments.

Cheers, Gene