Re: [Axiom-developer] On syntactic coloring of language

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] On syntactic coloring of language
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 08:56:06 -0400

Dear Tim:

Your reasoning is perfect for natural languages. For computer languages, I do think there is a purpose for certain highlighting of keywords and their associated punctuations, particularly when the correct language syntax frequently demands nested pairs of delimiters whose scopes may be more than a few lines, and where structural indentations may not be practical. Examples would be html, Mathematica and TeX/LaTeX. Thus, the reason for highlighting an IF-THEN-ELSE (as just one example) is not because readers can't recognize those keywords, but because readers may find it difficult to identify the extents indicated by the hyphens in IF-THEN-ELSE. Such highlighting benefits both the authors and the readers and has its role for better syntactic communication.

One should not compare or confuse the highlighting of, say, prepositions in natural languages with scope defining highlighting in programming languages.

That said, it is not good programming practice to have long scopes between paired delimiters, or for that matter, deeply nested pairs of delimiters.

I agree that those who choose color highlighting should choose colors carefully. I would prefer background coloring only and not text coloring, to avoid the precise problems you illustrated. Text emphasis should be shown using different typefaces, and in rare situations, a solid color like red.

William

On Mon, 19 May 2014 03:07:57 -0500