Re: [Axiom-developer] Literate Programming -- Knuth interview

From: Martin Baker
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Literate Programming -- Knuth interview
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:36:46 +0000

> If you feel that interleaving videos, animations, navigation, and any
> other tricks improves the "independence test" results then these
> techniques should be used. If, however, you are just trying to
> organize the material by some random criteria (e.g. alphabetical
> or as trees of logically grouped files) then you are undermining
> the transfer of ideas.

Tim,

I think we may agree about the importance and general principles of this and
we are just discussing the mechanics here? (although I think that navigation
and diagrams are much more fundamental and powerful than just "tricks")

I think its good to take into account practical matters and allow the use of
standard HTML and code editors and to separate these principles from the tools
used.

I don't see problem in having multiple source, HTML and diagram files treated
as single entity (in a ZIP file or something similar) the entry points would
be at the root. I cant see a problem for the "independence test".

When the code is complied the HTML files can be transferred unchanged to the
runtime so they are available for hyperdoc(HTML version) and help files at
runtime.

Martin