[Axiom-developer] Re: [Maxima] 2.6.8 licensing

From: Dan
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Maxima] 2.6.8 licensing
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:45:16 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, Camm Maguire wrote:

Greetings!  The FSF has requested that we "change the software license
to GPLv3 or later, and the documentation license FDLv1.3 or later".

(First an assertion of non-authority:  I'm not a copyright holder on
any of the software at issue.  I think I'm listed among the authors of
Axiom, but my contribution really was minimal, and I certainly don't
feel like it gives me any particular right to control the licensing
scheme.  What follows is just a suggestion.)

When I release my own code, I always shy away from using those "or
later" clauses.  We have no idea what might be in a future version of
the GPL or FDL, and therefore no idea what we're signing up to if we
include those clauses.

Dan