Re: [Axiom-developer] pointers//Decontructing domains

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] pointers//Decontructing domains
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:52:10 -0500

Axiom now has an "API" (ApplicationProgramInterface) domain
(similar in spirit to Aldor's Builtin domain).
I will add devaluate to it.
I will also change the SExpression domain to export the symbol-*
functions from lisp with proper conversion functions.

Tim

William Sit wrote:
Tim:
Thanks, your method works. For me at least, it is much
easier to handle strings than SExpression.

Waldek also provided a working method using opOf (but that
involves SExpression, and the output in SExpression can be
misleading), which is perhaps a bug (see my reply to
Waldek).

To summarize:
It is possible to deconstruct a domain (that is, trace its
constructor and the parameters to that constructor) using
Lisp primitives. Given an identifier whose value at turn
time is an Axiom domain, the function devaluate$Lisp returns
its value as an SExpression, and the function deconstrut
further turns the result into a list of SExpressions (which
may be useful to extract the first level of parameters, but
not necessary). The components can then be analyzed.
However, testing for equality of SExpressions can be
hazardous when the SExpressions are constructed in different
ways but the outputForms look identical. There are (at
least?) two ways to get around the problem. Assume we have
a, b defined below (but the value of the identifier a is not
really assumed known at compile time):

a:=Fraction Integer
b:=devaluate(a)$Lisp
  (Fraction (Integer))   Type SExpression

(1) (Waldek): use opOF to pick out the constructor of the
domain and test against a candidate using a quote expression
in Lisp coerced to an SExpression:

testW:='Fraction::SEX
c:=opOf(b)$Lisp
(c=testW)@Boolean

(2) (Tim): use a Lisp function SYMBOL_-NAME and then convert
the result into a string before testing:

testT:="Fraction"
c:=string(SYMBOL_-NAME(b.1)$Lisp)
(c=testT)@Boolean

In either method, do not set testW or testT to
"Fraction"::SEX, which would not test correctly.

William

Tim Daly wrote:
I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you having trouble with working in
the SExpression domain?
You can move the SExpressions out to other domains. Sometimes it is
painful but it works. So:

a:=FiniteField(5,2)
b:=devaluate(a)
string(SYMBOL_-NAME(b.1)$Lisp) ==> "FiniteField" (of type String)
integer(b.1) ==> 5  (of type PositiveInteger)

Does this help?

Tim

William Sit wrote:
It appears that to test the constructor, one must test a candidate
against a known one via the constructor itself, and not be "fiat" by
using a SExpression. Is this related to hashing of pointers?
Continuing with script in the previous email (attached):

(11) -> EQ(c.1,d)$Lisp

   (11)  ()
                                                           Type:
SExpression
(12) -> EQ(c1.1,d)$Lisp

   (12)  ()

Type: SExpression
-- So EQ$Lisp returns () in both cases, even for -- EQ(c.1,c1.1)$Lisp

-- (19)  ()
                                                           --Type:
SExpression

(13) -> e:=(c.1=d)

   (13)  false
                                                               Type:
Boolean

(14) -> e:=(c1.1=d)

   (14)  false
                                                              Type:
Boolean
-- same problem with = using SExpression.
15) -> e:=(c1.1=c1.1)

   (15)  true
                                                               Type:
Boolean
(16) -> d

   (16)  Fraction
                                                           Type:
SExpression
(17) -> c1.1

   (17)  Fraction
                                                           Type:
SExpression

So it seems there is some distinction: d (defined explicitly as
Fraction::SExpression) is different from c1.1 defined using
devaluate/destruct from a domain. A user should not need to know the
various way "equal" is tested if the two arguments for "equal" come
from the same domain SExpression. So is this a bug?

William

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:00:58 -0500