Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: OpenAxiom-1.2.1 released

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: OpenAxiom-1.2.1 released
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:49:14 -0400

> > Given that the goals of OpenAxiom are directly opposed to the stated
> > project goals of Axiom, how do you see that this difference should be
> > resolved?
>
> I repeat, that from user point of view the difference between projects
> is that one builds and another does not. While I can build FriCAS and
> OpenAxiom, I cannot boast it with Axiom. And the impression from my side
> is that you handle build problems ad hoc (cf. Slackware build problems):
> each linux-based system gets its own configuration file with quite
> uncommon content.

So you didn't see the grep/egrep bug that caused FriCAS not to build?

> What should be done, if I happen to need Axiom on HP-UX, is unknown.

There is no claim that Axiom runs on HP-UX. It might. It might not.

...[snip]...

> And from my user point of view, Axiom should adopt either FriCAS' or
> OpenAxiom's build system, whatever is closer, or develop similar one,

Please post a diff-Naur patch.

...[snip]...

You clearly believe that Axiom should adopt the "standard autoconf"
method of building.

I clearly believe that Makefiles should go away. I believe I will
be able to build Axiom in a portable, unified way using only
Common Lisp, Latex, and a browser. I'm

 * rewriting system-dependent subsystems like hyperdoc and graphics
   into Firefox, thus we don't need libXpm
 * simplifying the internals like removing boot so we don't need to
   depend on pre-stages to build, thus we don't need Makefiles
 * unifying the concepts so that Axiom reads and understand latex-style
   chunks, thus we don't need noweb
 * documenting everything using latex books, thus we don't need hundreds
   of tiny .h, .c, .boot, .lisp, and other 1960s development techniques

Axiom is about 1 million "things of code". It used to exist in thousands
of files, in dozens of subdirectories, with multiple system prerequisites
and complicated dependencies between the code parts. Autoconf is the
"right way" to manage that pile. That's a 1990s "solution" to a 1960
constraint of 4k memory limitations. Believe me, I was there.

Axiom will eventually be 30 books written in Latex and Common Lisp.
You will need a Latex and a standard Common Lisp and a standard browser.

For the moment, as a temporary measure, things that will go away like
GCL's snapshots, noweb, or libXpm are "supported" in "ad-hoc" ways.

Tim