[Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] Distributing Aldor

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] Distributing Aldor
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 02:24:36 -0400

>> I wish you would consider simply adopting the Modified BSD license. It
>> would make it much easier to integrate your work (albeit not Aldor
>> itself) directly with Axiom. Adding yet-other-licenses to the pile is
>> only going to make Aldor yet-more-difficult to use.
>
>I chose to licence them as ISC, which is similar to the modified BSD
>licence. Is this in line with what you were saying?

My opinion of NAG's business decision is purely based on how much
it has inconvenienced me. I'm sure they made the appropriate decision
to achieve their goals. I have the highest regard for the people at NAG
and have had a very good working relationship with them. They did not
have to release Aldor at all so I guess its rather unseemly to fault
them for doing it. However, the Aldor license has caused me to prioritize
the integration of Aldor very low. Any new code I write will certainly
be written in Spad, not Aldor, because I want the system to remain free.

Aldor seems to be a dead end language, given the license issue.
Aldor code can only be layered on top, not be integral to Axiom.

The questions you need to ask yourself are:
  What are your goals?
  What license will achieve those goals?

My advice to use MBSD is based on MY goals, not yours, so you should
discount everything I've said appropriately. My opinions are worth
little, considering the source.

Tim