[Axiom-developer] Re: [open-axiom-devel] AXIOMsys vs depsys

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [open-axiom-devel] AXIOMsys vs depsys
Date: 01 Aug 2008 09:00:48 +0200

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Peter, dear "whoever knows about the following"
>
> In src_aldor3 you call $(MNT)/bin/AXIOMsys to generate the dependencies
> and the .ap files for the Axiom domains.
>
> Furthermore, I find ${OBJ}/bin/depsys in the Makefile stanza
>
> $(aldor_lsp_o_files): $(ALDOR_MNT)/lib/%.o: $(ALDOR_INT)/lsp/%.lsp
>       echo LSP->O: $(notdir $@)
>       @echo '(progn (load "$(OBJ)/interp/foam_l.o") (compile-file "$(filter
> %.lsp,$^)" :output-file "$@") (bye))' \
>               | ${OBJ}/bin/depsys > $(ALDOR_OBJ)/$(notdir $@).log ;
>       @if test -f $@; then echo "Built $(notdir $@)" ; else cat
> $(OBJ)/$(SYS)/aldor/build/$(notdir $@).log; false; fi
>
> 1) What is the difference between AXIOMsys and depsys?

I think that AXIOMsys contains more than depsys, but I don't really know.  In
any case, depsys doesn't start the axiom interpreter, rather it gives you a
lisp prompt right away.  I guess that it's faster to start it.

> 2) Is it safe to call AXIOMsys instead of depsys?

I think so.  I also thought about trying this, because it might imply that we
could generate the interface from a distribution, too.

Martin

address@hidden:~/ax-build-speed/build/i686-pc-linux/bin$ time echo ")qu" |
./interpsys
Checking for foreign routines
AXIOM="/home/martin/lib/axiom/target/i686-pc-linux"
spad-lib="/home/martin/lib/axiom/target/i686-pc-linux/lib/libspad.so"
                 FriCAS (AXIOM fork) Computer Algebra System
                         Version: FriCAS 2008-03-29
               Timestamp: Thursday April 3, 2008 at 09:10:03
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave FriCAS and return to shell.

   Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
   Re-reading operation.daase
   Re-reading category.daase
   Re-reading browse.daase
(1) ->