Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom and Sage

From: William Stein
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom and Sage
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 23:32:52 -0800

On 10 Dec 2007 08:25:00 +0100, Martin Rubey <address@hidden> wrote:
> "William Stein" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >   (2) jsmath looks identical to tex, since it is 100% implementation of the
> > tex layout engine.
>
> I do not think that the latter is true.

I should clarify what I meant -- it is an implementation of the TeX
*Equation* layout engine, not the text part -- it's only for formulas.

> However, what I know is, that it uses
> the TeX fonts.

It does allow one to use computer modern fonts (120K) if available; otherwise
it uses unicode.  It can also use server-side bitmaped fonts.

> On the other hand, there is tex4ht, which is capable of producing html
> specially prepared for jsmath rendering.

That sounds cool and potentially very useful in order to attempt to
avoid latex2html.

> I used it to demonstrate that Axioms current documentation (which is written
> in
> a subset/variant of LaTeX) can be brought to the browser directly.  As far as
> know, Tim et al. rewrote the documentation into html by hand.

 -- William